Widgets – small versions of larger apps that live on the Today View screen – are a popular way to customize your iPhone.
Some widgets, like the Weather app, simply display a compact summary of what you could find by opening the app.
Other apps are interactive. For example, the Shazam widget lets you find out what song you’re hearing over the speakers in the coffee shop with a tap, while the Shortcuts widget launches your favorite shortcuts.
You probably have dozens of widgets on your iPhone waiting to be added to the Today View screen. Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999.99 at Best Buy)
How to add widgets on an iPhone
Not all apps have their own widgets, but when they do, you don’t have to do anything special to download or install them – widgets are installed on your phone along with the apps they belong to.
But widgets won’t appear on the Today View screen automatically. You can add them from the bottom of the screen.
1. Go to your Today View screen. You can get there by swiping to the right from the Home page, from the Notification center, or even from the Lock screen.
2. Scroll to the bottom and tap “Edit.” You might need to unlock your phone.
3. In the More Widgets section, you’ll find widgets for many of the apps installed on your phone. Find a widget you want to add and tap the plus sign. It’ll immediately appear at the top of the page.
4. After you’ve added all the widgets you want to the Today View screen, you can rearrange them using the drag bars on the right side of the screen.
5. To remove a widget, tap the minus sign on the left side of the screen.
6. When you’re finished, tap “Done.”