Exploring the arts brings enrichment and can empower youth to think, dream and discover new projects and creative ideas. The Arts Council of Tahlequah announces the weekly themes for the new Arts for All Summer Arts and Leadership Day Camp, which begins on Monday, June 11, and ends Friday, Aug. 11, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. for ages 10 and up at the Cort Mall.
The weekly cost of the camp is a donation of $100 for one camper, $150 for two siblings. Campers can bring a lunch or purchase one at the Kawi Cafe, also in Cort Mall.
The weekly themes are set up to build on the previous one, but can also stand alone for campers not able to attend each week. The unique arts are explored weekly and every Friday a behind-the-scenes field trip and volunteering are planned.
Staff, as well as visiting artists, will teach workshops, which are as follows.
• Week 1, June 11-15: “Art All Around, Art in Me, Arts for All”; Activities include beginning drawing, poetry, journaling, music, a study of eyes and smile, instrumental music history, performing and folk dancing with Dr. Carl Farinelli and others; the word of the week is “joy”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday will tour River City Players and learn how a show goes from auditions, to music selection, costumes, set building, and watch a tech rehearsal; and volunteer with River City Players.
• Week 2, June 18-22: “My Neighborhood”; focus on architecture to public parks and gardens; bird watching; introduction to watercolor painting, drawing flowers and birds, creative writing, and making a fairy garden; word of the week is “community”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday and volunteer with Nasturtium Garden Club.
• Week 3, June 25-29: “Local History and Culture”; walking History Trail, visit Cherokee Nation downtown museums, learn about corn husk dolls, storytelling, basket weaving and pottery; word of the week is “family”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday and volunteering at the Cherokee Heritage Center touring grounds and museum, art gallery, making art and a picnic lunch.
• Week 4, July 2-3, and 5-6: “Celebrating America – Coast to Coast”; features lighthouses, hospitality, map reading, creative writing, basic sewing, introduction to oil painting, vase faces/silhouettes, and First Friday activities; word of the week is “hero”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday and volunteering is at the Thompson House.
• Week 5, July 9-13: “Oceans, Lakes, Rivers and Streams”; painting with light en plein air, sunshine, rainbows, sunrise and sunset, creative writing, paper mache, pinatas, painting, and perspective and proportion in drawing; word of the week is “beauty”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday and volunteer is to walk, study, wade in and clean up trash along downtown creek at parks.
• Week 6, July 16-20: “Mountains, Landscapes,and Waterfalls”; introduction to acrylic painting, stained-glass windows, sculpture, suncatchers, paint waterfall at creek, creative writing; word of the week is “challenge”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday to tour downtown churches with stained glass; ans volunteer with Feed My Sheep on Thursday.
• Week 7, July 23-27: “Murals and Sculpture, Public Art”; walking tour of murals downtown, painting a mural, pottery and sculpture; word of the week is “imagination”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday and volunteering at Hunter’s Home.
• Week 8, July 30-Aug.3: “Event and Party Planning A-Z”; First Friday Fashion Show and Art Show, mask-making, bead work, cupcake decorating, creative writing; word of the week is “leadership”; Behind-the-Scene Friday and volunteering is Tahlequah Main Street Association’s First Friday.
• Week 9, Aug. 6-10: “Travel – Vacation in Your Own Backyard”; night sky, star watching, creative writing, art show and sale, final self-portrait, introduction to painting; word of the week is “adventure”; Behind-the-Scenes Friday to create a Junior Leadership Arts Board; volunteer with the Arts Council of Tahlequah; and end of camp party.